Councilor Jonathan M. Samet
Dean, School of Public Health, University of Colorado
- M.S., Harvard School of Public Health
- M.D., University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
- A.B. in Chemistry and Physics, Harvard College
- University of Southern California
Professor and Flora L. Thornton Chair, Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine Director, USC Institute for Global Health
- Johns Hopkins University
Adjunct Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health
Professor and Chairman, Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health
Director, Institute for Global Tobacco Control, Bloomberg School of Public Health
- University of New Mexico
Chief, Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Department of Medicine,
Assistant Professor to Professor of Medicine
- The Alton Ochsner Award Relating Smoking and Health
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
- Prince Mahidol Award in Public Health, Prince Mahidol Award Foundation
- John Goldsmith Award for Outstanding Contributions to Environmental Epidemiology, International Society for Environmental Epidemiology
- Alumni Award of Merit, Harvard School of Public Health
- Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Chair, Working Group on Non-Ionizing Radiation: Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Fields, International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee of CanCOLD, McGill University, Canada
- Chair, Centre Advisory Board, MRC-HPA Centre for Environment and Health, London, England
- Chair, Scientific Advisory Committee, Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology (CREAL) Barcelona, Spain
- Peking Union Medical Center and China Center for Disease Control
- President, American College of Epidemiology, Fellow
- President, Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Chairman, Environmental and Occupational Health Assembly Annual Meeting Committee, American Thoracic Society
- Samet JM, Avila-Tang E, Boffetta P, Hannan LM, Olivo-Marston S, Thun MJ, Rudin CM. Lung cancer in never smokers: clinical epidemiology and environmental risk factors. Clin Cancer Res. 2009; 15(18):5626-45.
- de González AB, Kim K, Samet JM. Radiation-induced cancer risk from annual computed tomography for patients with cystic fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2007; 176:970-973.
- Brenner DJ, Doll R, Goodhead DT, Hall EJ, Land CE, Little JB, Lubin JH, Preston DL, Preston RJ, Puskin JS, Ron E, Sachs RK, Samet JM, Setlow RB, Zaider M. Cancer risks attributable to low doses of ionizing radiation: assessing what we really know. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2003; 100:13761-13766.
- Samet JM, Eradze GR. Radon and lung cancer risk: taking stock at the millennium. Environ Health Perspect 2000; 108:635-641.
- Lubin JH, Boice JD Jr, Edling C, Samet JM, et al. Lung cancer in radon-exposed miners and estimation of risk from indoor exposure. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995; 87:817-826.
- Darby SC, Whitley E, Howe GR, Hutchings SJ, Kusiak RA, Lubin JH, Morrison HI, Tirmarche M, Tomášek L, Radford EP, Roscoe RJ, Samet JM, Yao SX. Radon and cancers other than lung cancer in underground miners: a collaborative analysis of 11 studies. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995; 87:378-384.
- Samet JM. Indoor radon and lung cancer: estimating the risks. West J Med 1992; 156:25-29.
- Samet JM, Pathak DR, Morgan MV, Key CR, Valdivia AA. Lung cancer mortality and exposure to radon progeny in a cohort of New Mexico underground uranium miners. Health Phys 1991; 61:745-752.